So, here's the thing. You would often see me downing unlimited glasses of mojitos in Friday's or in one of those affordable bar and restos on the side streets of Makati CBD. They are enjoyable in their own right, but there would always come a moment wherein some force pulls me off the place that's saying, "You're better off somewhere else."
And I know exactly where that place is.
It's been forever since I last stepped foot into O Bar. It's been almost four years since I first discovered the place: Gay friends brought me there one Saturday night for my "baptism of fire". That's when I realized there are so many more People Like Us, beyond my circle of friends; where I first fell in love with the dance floor; where I learned to embrace my (homo)sexuality even more.
But time passed and my priorities changed. I was thrust into the complexities of corporate life right after graduation, and the big bosses would really utilize you when you're exceptionally good (excuse the airheadedness here). Family responsibilities came side by side as you earned more. And as if those weren't enough, I engaged into the stress to juggling work and graduate school, having been influenced by an environment that places deep value into education.
All of these meant sacrificing a few things. I kept my college buddies and old officemates close through dinners that didn't consume my entire night. I struggled to maintain social relationships with gay friends over cups of coffee that I didn't drink. No more night outs after. Once the only place that felt home, O Bar have become nothing but a distant dream to this soon-to-be 23-year-old.
After the payroll cutoff on the 15th, perhaps. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment